Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, June 2, 2008

Avery's 1st illness

Avery has THRUSH. Last week I noticed that Avery's tongue looked really white and had white little spots all over it. I knew that is what thrush could look like, but I also knew babies tongues can just have some left over formula on it so I decided to call her pediatrician on Thursday. After waiting most the day for the nurse to return my phone call she asked if Avery had these white spots on the insides of her lips and cheeks too. I told her I noticed a spot on the corner of her mouth, but wasn't really sure if it was dry skin or these white spots. I told her I couldn't see the insides of her cheeks because seriously they are huge and every time I try to open her mouth she makes this terrible gag face. So she said if I couldn't see any spots anywhere other then her tongue it probably wasn't thrush. WRONG!! All weekend it started to get worse, the insides of her lips started turning white and all this while she would NOT eat. I felt like I had to force her to take a bottle. I don't blame her though it's a yeast infection on her tongue, I bet it itched BAD!! So I called her doctor early this morning and was able to get her in at 11:00 and sure enough I was right it was THRUSH!! It's not as common for bottle fed babies to get it, but they still can and of course my daughter would (I have terrible luck when it comes to illnesses). So she is on Nystatin 4 times a day for two weeks. Oh and she hates it by the way because I have to take a Q-tip and rub it around in her cheeks and inside her lips. Poor baby girl, but at least we figured out what it was!! The spot on the corner of her lip, she had one on the other side too.

As you can see Avery did not like me to touch her lips, but I wanted to document her very 1st illness. I'm one of those crazy mothers who tries to document everything. Don't worry there will be pictures of her and her very 1st poop in a the big girl potty. One day she will appreciate these things!!

No comments: