Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sleeping through the night??

Isn't she precious when she's sleeping. She put herself to sleep on my bed while I was getting ready in the bathroom. Now she just needs to sleep through the night!!


I desperately need help. I am trying to get Avery to sleep through the night without me having to let her cry it out. It's just so hard I hate hearing/seeing her like that. Technically 5 hours is sleeping through the night which she does, but her pediatrician said now that she is 14 lbs. (yes 14 lbs., she's getting huge) she should be able to go at least 8 hours. I have been establishing a better bedtime routine like a bath, then reading a book or two, a 4 oz. bottle and then bed. This should be helping, but I'm not sure it is (although I just started on Monday, maybe I should be a little patient). She is also putting herself to sleep during the day and at night.. I don't have to rock her to sleep anymore, I just lay her down drowsy, which is very nice. I'm just having a hard time cutting out that 2:00 - 4:00 AM feeding. I have tried putting rice cereal in her bottles to fill her up right before bed and that doesn't work and she won't eat more then 4 oz, so I don't know what to do. Does it just happen for babies when there ready, am I pushing her to soon? I could really use some suggestions, I REALLY miss my sleep. ANYTHING will help, I am up to try anything!!

6 comments:

Jodi said...

Dang if you only need to be 14lbs to sleep through the night whats my problem. She is cute though!

Amanda Fullerton said...

I would be a little patient and see what happens. Some babies need to cry it out though, so just be prepared if you feel that's what needs to be done to get her to be sleeping that 8 hours. I know my son didn't sleep through the night properly (slept the 6 hours but woke for a feeding) till he was about six months old and I was a zombie! I hope she starts sleeping more for you soon.

Becky Jorgensen said...

Hey woman I feel for ya! both my girls were the same way but they didn't start sleeping throught night(8 -10 hours) till about 6 or 7 months. The 5-6 hour was basically what they slept for forever. What I did was try to get their last feeding between 10 or 11 and then I'd go to sleep after that that way they wake up close to 6 that way they can still fall back asleep for a few more hours. Don't stress your doing awesome and sometimes you have to let them cry it out. I had to do it with both girls and you'll be glad you did. That way they learn to fall asleep on their own. I hope you you doing awesome and little Averie is getting so big, so adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you try the binkie thing yet? From what I am reading and hearing, it sounds like six months is the key! Maybe we'll have to wait a few more months to see! :0)

Garmire's said...

How are you? Your little girl is so so cute! Little girls are so dang fun! I love the hair bows! Where did you get them?
Well my advice to you is to let her cry it out. My doctor told me as long as she's like 14 pounds and up you can. It's probably like one of the hardest things to do because it's just so sad. The first couple of days is the hardest. Well it really took Chloe 2 days but it took Ally a week and a half. We do it with nap time as well. Chloe is a better sleeper now. Today she slept till 8 and she's never done that before. What helps me is when I put her down in her crib and say goodnight I hurry out of the room and I get busy to get my mind off of her crying. Now she cries for about 5 min. if that. The first day she cried about 25 min and the second night was like 15 min. If you do it, be patient it'll work. Good Luck!
That's the only thing that worked with both kids. From then on with Ally she has been the greatest sleeper! I hope you get some sleep.
Hope this helps.

Rachael said...

I have to agree with the last comment. I catered to Corban so much that it was almost 9 months before I let him cry and things only got worse before they got better. With Isabelle at a month old I started the 10 min cry period- we did the bedtime routine (bath, book, prayer) and then I would lay her down and hurry off to do dishes or something that would distract me.

It was the best thing. She started sleeping through the night by 1 1/2 months old. She now sleeps from 8PM to 7AM almost everynight. (she is 16 mos)

It does depend on the baby- it was terrible with Corban. He literally cried for hours if you let him. But the doctor said that giving into him was making it worse because it was motivating him to keep crying because he knew eventually I would cave. The DR said to let him cry 15 minutes and then check on him and once he knew I wasn't going to pick him up he would stop crying and go to sleep.

But it was so difficult. Corban was a fighter. He still likes to test me (and he is 3). There is so much more but I have written way to much. If you want more just email me. I had to study lots of different ways to help Corban learn to sleep.

It is so hard to let them cry- but sometimes you have to let them cry.

You sound like you are such a great mommy. Sorry for the rambling.